Do you like this site? Then please link to us!
|Many Web authors, particularly newcomers, believe that they must spend $40 to $70 to get a decent Web page editing program. In reality, you don't need to spend a dime to get an excellent program that'll do everything that the big, commercial programs do.
Below, we offer a roundup of the top free Web editing programs around.
Even if you know nothing about HTML coding, these programs can make the process of building a Web site relatively painless. Many of these programs will basically write the code for you. Others offer a wealth of must-have features, such as checking the validity of your coding, spell checking, link checking, and automatically uploading your Web pages.
It's true: you can design a Web page using nothing more than Windows' built-in Notepad text editor. But with the many fabulous, free, feature-packed Web editing programs available, why bother?
Please send us E-mail if you're aware of any free Web editing programs that we've not listed, or if you find dead links.
- Click-o-mania Web editor - (New version offers more features, such as an image map wizard). Here's a fine, freeware HTML editor that offers loads of features and is aimed at the intermediate to advanced Web author. Features lots of keyboard shortcuts, FTP capability, multiple file handling, a "frames wizard," a good search-and-replace function, color checking for HTML coding and an "auto save" feature. If you're used to editing text with WordPad or Notepad, you'll find that the same hot keys work here, too. 580 kilobytes. (For Windows 98/95).
- META Master - If you've been trying to get better rankings in the search engines, then you can appreciate how difficult it can be to come up with flawless "Meta tags," (those vital components of a Web page that determine search engine rankings). META Master, an essential utility that comes in a freeware version, is your answer. Just enter your information in the provided fields and this baby will generate instant Meta tags for you. 1.5 megabytes. (For Windows 98/95).
- GFHTML - A lot of people use Windows' Notepad for routine HTML coding chores. If you're among these folks, then you'll find GFHTML handy. It's a freeware text editor that's based on Notepad, but offers extra features: wizards, a multiple document interface and quick buttons for popular tags. 13 kilobytes. (For Windows 98/95).
- AOLpress - Don't know a thing about the HTML language? You don't need to, with AOLpress. If you can use a word processor, like Microsoft Word, you can use this free program. AOLpress is perhaps the best freeware WYSIWYG Web editor out there. Features a spell checker; support for frames; easy creation of tables; and a handy browser that lets you preview your work. Best of all, AOLpress will can publish your pages immediately, without the hassle of FTP, provided you have a PrimeHost hosting service director (or an AOL server). Check the site for details. 3.4 megabytes. (For Windows 98/95 and NT).
- EZpad - A powerful, free Web editor from Iceland, EZpad offers everything you need to quickly and efficiently build your Web site. Features include numerous "wizards" that help you code everything from frames to fonts. There's also a HTML previewer, menu & buttons for common tags, drag & drop capability and tons more. Here's a screen shot. (Note: EZpad is now out of beta and the new version is much improved). For Windows: 1.4 megs.
- Stone's WebWriter 2 - The English version of this classic HTML editor from Denmark has finally been released. WebWriter is easy for beginners to use and is packed with features that even many commercial program don't offer. With WebWriter, you can easily edit HTML tags by right-clicking and you can format text, just as you would in your word processor. There's also a helpful built-in image viewer. (Free for private, noncommercial use only). For Windows 98/95. 928 kilobytes.
- Web-O-Rama Web page editor - This is a full-featured editor with a nice interface and many useful features, including intuitive forms for adding images, tables, links, lists, sounds, hex values, frames and more. All forms can be kept on top as floating toolbars. Other features include directory drop-down menus, a status bar with helpful info, a "find & replace" feature, auto-conversion of keyboard characters and more. Free, but donations are accepted. 3.14 megabytes. (For Win 98/95 and NT).
- Amaya - From the gatekeepers of the Web, W3C, comes this free, highly useful Web authoring tool & browser combination program. Amaya has tons of features, such as WYSIWYG and a spell checker and is evolving all the time. You don't need to know HTML to build a Web page with Amaya. (Available for Windows and Unix).
- Don't spend $50 on a commercial Web authoring program until you've tried this cool free program. Arachnophilia is an outstanding Web editor, bursting with features. It'll import fully formatted text, tables, and outlines from any Win 95-compliant application and automatically convert it to HTML. It also has built-in FTP capabilities that can automatically upload files (although it can't delete files, like a true FTP client can). Powerful keyboard macros can include system commands---even other macros, for maximum flexibility. For Win 95/NT. 1.76 megabytes.
- WindowHTML - Excellent free Web authoring tool that lets you create cool-looking Windows-like HTML pages. Easy to use. For Windows. 129 kilobytes.
- SiteAid HTML Editor - An excellent free Web editor, SiteAid offers features like multiple tag insertion methods and many quick wizard forms. It also automates such tedious tasks such as body selections, tables, lists and frames. Click here for a screen shot.(For Windows: 2.27 megs)
- This is a good, solid freeware Web authoring program that offers goodies like
intelligent tag insertion, intuitive shortcut keys, easy
access for your preferred browser, and more.
- HTML Builder - A useful free 32-bit Web authoring tool. Offers HTML 3.2 capabilities, forms support, drag & drop, spell checker and much more.
If you find a dead link or would like to submit a new link,
please send us an E-mail.
Earn cash from your Web site today! This is the best revenue program around.